• United States!

    United States: Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Go Now!

    United States
    Explore the vast openness and wildlife found roaming in the western United States, including Theodore Roosevelt National Park (pictured) in North Dakota. Begin Your Journey!

  • Trinidad & Tobago!

    Trinidad & Tobago: Beautiful Coastline. Go Now!

    Trinidad & Tobago
    These Caribbean islands mix Indian, African, and European cultures alongside beautiful beaches. Go Now!

  • St. Kitts & Nevis!

    St. Kitts & Nevis: Nevis Island. Go Now!

    St. Kitts & Nevis
    This island nation mixes aspects of European, African, and Caribbean culture... not to mention incredible beaches. Go Now!

  • Honduras!

    Honduras: Children. Go Now!

    The original banana republic, Honduras has made a name for itself with the banana trade; however foreign influences have also vastly altered the culture. Go Now!

  • Mexico!

    Mexico: Sunrise over the mountains in Puerto Vallarta. Go Now!

    Although many people just go for the beaches, Mexico offers impressive mountain vistas (pictured in Puerto Vallarta), great food, and historic ruins that compete with the best in the world. Begin Your Journey!

  • Barbados!

    Barbados: Pier on the beach. Go Now!

    This Caribbean island has hints of British culture, but is wholly Caribbean as well. Explore Barbados!

Ethnicity, Language, & Religion of Haiti

WARNING: Safety is a concern in Haiti, please read this travel warning before going!


Nearly all of Haiti considers itself of African descent, many of whose ancestors were brought to the region by the slave trade. These slaves came from all parts of Africa, but it seems most arrived from what is today known as the Congo, Benin, and Nigeria. Many of these people are a combination of ethnicities though, including ethnic Africans with scant traces of ethnic Europeans and American Indians.


Both French and creole are official languages in Haiti, although most people tend to speak creole as their native language. This language is similar to French, but has numerous foreign introductions, most notably from English. The people generally speak creole amongst themselves, but use the more formalized French in official settings, such as business and schools.


Roman Catholics make up most of Haiti's population consisting of about 80% of the people. Nearly all of the other 20% are Protestant in some form with about half of these people being Baptist. Also, many of voodoo's rituals have been incorporated into the local religions so Haiti's definition of Catholicism or Protestantism may differ slightly from how others define these religions.

Catholicism is a Christian religion that is one of the first Christian religions (founded after the death of Jesus in about 30-33 AD). Catholicism believes that there is a single God who created everything, a savior, the son of God, Jesus Christ who is the forgiver of sins, and there is the Holy Spirit, which makes up the last part of the Holy Trinity. Catholics follow the teachings of the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments. Much of the faith is based on the life and teachings of Jesus, which is found in the gospels (in the New Testament).

Continue reading on Safari the Globe to Learn the Catholic Church's doctrines, liturgy, symbolism, traditions, & hierarchy

This page was last updated: May, 2014